Thursday, December 21, 2006

ever feel....

so, here i am in my office surrounded by busy bees putting up holiday decorations and i am here hiding out. i used to get into all of the hub bub of lights and presents and the whole thing. I am just not there. I haven't been in that frame of mind for a few years now. I am not depressed, this season is not a downer for me. I am just not there. I am currently in south Florida, that could have something to do with it, and i no longer see the point. i was listening to a radio broadcast of a silly talk show that was debating how to give gifts. so folks like to over give and some get nervous that they will offend their friends. What in the World? I thought the whole thing was awful. who worries about such things? Why would anyone worry that their gift wasn't good enough. that to me says that they are worried that they are not good enough. one woman said that she overbuys and wraps all the gifts brings all of them in the car takes half of them in and depending on how much the other friend gives she may or may not go back to the car and bring in more. this is giving for the sake of competition. Is this a class thing? Is it because i don't run with the money crowd that i don't see this? Is this yet another thing people can point to and say, "the Americans, yuck"?
Do you ever feel like you just don't fit in at Christmas?
Should I be worried that the recipients of my gifts are judging me? Am I the one in the bubble? All the thoughtful yet single gifts that i sent out over the world to friends and family, is that not enough? should i be running out to the local target and buying up all sorts of things to wrap and send? Is it wrong to put on the brakes and say, "enough"?

1 comment:

girl MD said...

Enough! Don't let a silly radio show make you feel competitive about giving gifts. It's about quality, not quantity. That's why I don't belong to those big price clubs like Sam's Club or Costco.
I would agree that getting into the holiday spirit in south Florida is a bit of a challenge. Perhaps you need to come north? Although, no snow at present.
Merry Christmas in the true spirit of the holiday!
girlMD